Radio is Still Cool
So, with the technological advancements in the past few years, it seems that we interact more and more with content, rather than having content given to us without much choice. So with this, many people believe (and are most likely right) older platforms such as newspapers, magazines, television and radio are becoming a thing of the past. Many TV stations are cutting back on personal, newspaper printing presses are shutting down, and advertising for radio seems to be trending downward. And that's where I want to put my two cents in. Having worked in radio for almost 2 years now, I am a new generation of radio enthusiasts. Unfortunately, I think the art of radio is slowly becoming extinct. Too many times I hear of wonderful programs being canceled and later replaced my hours upon hours of political or sports talk radio. So, with that, I want to introduce you to a few of my favorite programs that I love to listen to.
"This American Life"
Ok, so you may have heard of this program. It is a wonderful program that finds and tells stories ranging from the serious to comedic. From influential public figures to your ordinary Joe. This show is usually separated into different "Acts" that help with the flow of each episode. Each episode also has a common theme and the theme is captured in each act, even though the stories may vary a lot. "This American Life" is storytelling at its best. Try to find an open hour each week...no...MAKE room for an hour in your schedule every week to listen to "This American Life". Believe me, you won't be disappointed, and you will learn so much. (Listen to This American Life)
"On the Media"
If you want to be in the know with anything and everything media, this is your show. On the media takes current events every week, and analyzes them and the effect and affect of media with those events. It's a great way to catch up on what is going on in the news as well as keeping up with inventions, innovations and cool things happening with media. It's a very insightful and a very fair program. They try to stay balanced on all issues in my opinion. A great listen. (Listen to On the Media)
"The Morning Show on Sirius XM 143, BYU Radio"
So I may be a little biased with this because I do the newscasts for this show, but "The Morning Show" is a refreshing show that captures all different areas of life. Yes, it does have a BYU bias (many of the guests are affiliated with Utah, Provo and BYU) but it does not preach. From interesting guests interviews to poetic montages and BYU and national sports updates. This program is a great way to start your day. It plays from Monday-Friday 9 AM eastern time, and a repeat at 11 AM. Listen to it for a great feel good way to start to your day. (Listen to BYU Radio)
"Wait wait...don't tell me!"
A comedic gem. "Wait wait...don't tell me!" is a comedy quiz show with panelists that try to answer questions, as well as help out their guests guess correctly. The title says it all. As a listener, you can listen to the show and guess the answers along with the panel. At times I will yell out the answer, trying to beat the guests or panelists on the radio. This fun program will keep you laughing and smiling. (Listen to Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!)






You should have also mentioned RadioLab. And if you don't know what that is you HAVE to look it up. You'll love it.
ReplyDeleteYou're right. RadioLab is very cool and I would recommend it as well. I can't believe I forgot it!
Delete